“‘I learned from falling in love with that Koenig & Bauer. Infatuation is worth nothing. It has nothing to do with the real world.’ She nooded at the steam engine looming in the corner by her bed. ‘Me and Hercules, we have an understanding. We take care of each other. It’s a better kind of love, I think.'”

beatrice

Karin Tidbeck’s “Beatrice” was not what I was expecting the story to be. The story is very creepy in its own unique way. The idea of a man and a woman falling in love with these machines of transportation is baffling and intriguing. When Anna talks about infatuation and love, it seems like both Anna and Franz misunderstood their relationship with the engine and aircraft. Because Beatrice states that she is not happy and she was forced to be with Franz, I think that these two human beings were infatuated with their “lovers,” but because their “lovers” did not give consent, it seemed like they were infatuated with the body of the engine and the aircraft. It also makes me question whether Franz kidnapped the aircraft and she became a slave to him, without him realizing. This story was very creeping, intriguing, and mysterious in all of its elements of personifying an inanimate object to the point that someone is infatuated with it.