But to Nal’s dismay, the ladies of Athertown flocked to Samson in greater multitudes than before. Girls trailed him down the boardwalk, clucking stupidly about the new waxy sheen on his head. Samson was seventeen and had what Nal could only describe with a big laugh and the deep serenity of a grazing creature.

seagullsRussell takes the element of an unusual amount of seagulls at this beach and makes it normal, but it makes me question what the actual purpose of the seagulls is┬áto this coming-of-age story and whether the seagulls are actually physically there or are they a representation of the freedom and confidence that surrounds Nal, but Russell struggles to make this clear. Based on the quote above, in which Russell describes Samson like a seagull, I believe that the seagulls are a representation of the people and environment in which Nal is surrounded by and longs to be like. Also, when the seagull snatches the hamburger pattie out of the sandwich, it appears that this is Russel’s way to foreshadow how Samson takes the girls that Nal likes without Nal putting up a fight. I just wish the purpose of the seagulls was clearer to me.